Thursday, August 18, 2011

Underdog No Longer: American Movie

I know I'm probably a bit behind the curve but the 1999 documentary American Movie has just blown my mind! Netflix kept recommending it to me and for some reason I had just always felt pretty "meh" towards the synopsis. But last week iTunes grouped it in a category titled "Funnier Than Life" along with Winnebago Man, Anvil, Roger & Me, and some other hilarious documentaries, so I decided to give it a go. And man, do I feel stupid for not giving it a chance before!
It's been haunting me....in a good way...every day since I've seen it. I feel like I've gained some dear friends in the process. So I wanted to spread the love. WATCH THIS DOCUMENTARY NOW. You won't regret it a promise. In fact, I might just go watch it again!


"It takes a village to make a movie, but when that village is Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin and not Hollywood, CA, the results are at times bizarre, comical, and very American.  With  the help of his mother, his 82-year old uncle, and local cast of hilarious and lovable characters, filmmaker Mark Borchardt fights his way through internal and external roadblocks to achieve his goal-to make his movie, his way. AMERICAN MOVIE is the story of filmmaker Mark Borchardt, his mission, and his dream.  Spanning over two years of intense struggle with his film, his family, financial decline, and spiritual crisis, AMERICAN MOVIE is a portrayal of ambition, obsession, excess, and one man’s quest for the American Dream."


No comments: