Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Art of Victor Hugo


The other day I was lucky enough to get to see Les Miserables at the 5th Avenue Theater downtown. I had only ever heard the soundtrack and seen the film, so getting to enjoy both together was such a treat! One thing that stood out to me was the scenery backdrops. In reading the program, I learned that they were paintings of and based off of some of Victor Hugo's actual artwork! They say that had he chosen to pursue a career as an artist he could have been among the best and most innovative of his century. It's always amazing to me to learn about people who are just so beyond brilliant and gifted in so many areas. Don't you think? Anyways, here's a sample of his art I thought you might enjoy. Some of it still seems so modern....






1 comment:

C. Barber said...

Just came across this looking for Mr Hugo's paintings as well. Seems you went to see the 25th Anniversary of Les Mis— correct? You must've seen Andrew Varela in the role of Javert too. A stand out performance wouldn't you say?

Thanks for posting the images too. Great collection!